Canada can thrive in an era of climate change. To do so, we need to create a greater Canadian consensus for ambitious climate policies…because uncertainty is not working.
- Climate change is an urgent reality facing Canadians, the economy and Canadian businesses from coast to coast to coast.
- Lack of climate policy certainty poses significant risks and costs to businesses across Canada. The politicization of the climate debate has made change significantly more difficult. Governments can address this risk by providing greater certainty.
- Economic direction that creates effective, efficient and stable climate policies enable business to do that which it is most capable – to invest, to innovate and to support growth and job creation.
Effective climate policy includes:
- Ensuring a price on carbon that includes the right mix of taxes, emissions trading and regulation;
- Addressing climate risk today to establish an adaptation plan and increased investment in resilient infrastructure;
- Creating opportunities to clean the grid, that would include encouraging growth and innovation for small modular reactors (SMR), zero emission vehicles (ZEV) and carbon capture utilization and storage, (CCUS), energy storage and low-carbon fuels;
- Modernizing and digitizing the regulatory environment across sectors, and;
- Aligning Canada’s financial sector to create and deliver a “made for Canada” transition finance framework to manage risk and finance emerging growth opportunities.
We call on governments to:
- Create stable climate policy that moves Canada to meet its Paris commitments on GHG emissions reductions and successfully positions the country on a long-term path for low carbon transition.
- Co-create foundational climate policy with the active involvement of the business community to ensure that we can all move forward towards a greater climate policy consensus.
Who We Are
Canadian Business for Climate Policy is a coalition of business voices across sectors, and across regions. Our members include leading businesses in financial services, forestry, power generation, energy, construction and more.
Forest Products Association of Canada
Insurance Bureau of Canada
Ontario Power Generation
Pollara Strategic Insights
Power Corporation of Canada
Residential and Civil Construction Alliance
Residential Construction Council of Ontario
David McGown is a senior business executive with experience in government, finance, business, policy, and the voluntary sector. Previous roles include Senior VP, Insurance Bureau of Canada; VP Corporate Development, CIBC; assistant to a federal Minister of Finance; economist with the Department of Finance and Past President, The Couchiching Institute on Public Affairs.
“Businesses ignoring climate change face bankruptcy.”
– Mark Carney of The Bank of England
Canadian Business for Climate Policy is a cross Canada coalition of business voices. We welcome new members from every sector.
Joining this coalition of Canadian businesses adds your voice for consistent and effective climate policy in Canada, and your organization’s leadership in this era of increased climate awareness and action.
As a member, your financial support supports our ongoing outreach to governments across Canada, offers opportunities to engage in policy discussions and can amplify our message through your own networks. You’ll also connect with others in a highly networked, credible, and on-the-ground organization.
Contact Us for more information.
To become a member of the coalition, or to find out more about our work, contact:
David McGown, Executive Director
Send us a message
© Copyright 2019 – Canadian Business for Climate Policy